Many systems use timing/synchronous belts to modify speeds and relay the torque that powers equipment from electric motors or other drives to the driven equipment. These belts require proper alignment to optimize the belted drive's longevity, offering the benefits of safety and efficiency in your system. At Megadyne Group, we have high-quality industrial timing belts to meet the needs of a range of applications.
Synchronous or timing belts are a type of tooth belt that consists of a toothed sprocket, or pulley, and belt teeth that transmit power using positive engagement. Exact shaft synchronization results from this engagement, eradicating speed loss and slippage that v-belts often experience.
The belt teeth in timing/synchronous belts feature a shape that is trapezoidal, curvilinear, or modified curvilinear. The teeth fit into the sprocket’s matching grooves, which allows for positive power transmission at high and low speeds for high-torque operations. To provide the best results and prevent gradual wear and tear, timing belts must be able to resist corrosion and stretch.
Benefits of Timing Belts
Timing belts come with a number of advantages, such as:
- Clean operation. By preventing contamination, a clean operation is beneficial for machinery requiring consistently sanitary environments.
- Cost efficiency. These belts do not require costly downtime, allowing for more continuous production.
- Energy efficiency. Timing belt drives offer 99% energy efficiency, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. As a result, systems generate reduced operating expenses.
- Low maintenance. Synchronous belts work well in applications where maintenance is difficult to perform. This is because of their lack of a need for lubrication and re-tensioning.
- Low noise. These belts minimize both noise and vibration in their systems.
- Low tension requirements. Timing belts do not require high tension during operation, resulting in minimum bearing loads to help increase the lifespan of bearings and motors.
- Non-slip, positive performance. Belt teeth feature precise meshing with pulley grooves due to tight manufacturing tolerances and compatibility between the parts. This provides consistent output speeds while preventing speed variation, vibration, or skipping in your processes.
- Popular profiles. Timing belts are available in low-noise STD and high-torque profiles, along with conventional trapezoidal and HTD curvilinear profiles.
- Savings on space and weight. Short center distances and small pulleys make timing belts more compact, weighing far less than other alternatives per horsepower transmitted.
- Versatile load and speed capabilities. Varied designs allow for more flexibility, which makes these belts suitable for extensive applications. For instance, the belt's load-carrying capacity can range anywhere from nominal to as much as hundreds of horsepower, along with speeds of one to more than 10,000 RPM.
Types of Timing Belts
Depending on an application's requirements, two main types of timing belts are available: rubber synchronous belts and polyurethane synchronous belts.
Rubber Synchronous Belts
These belts are easier to install and change out because of their lower weight compared to other synchronous belts. Additionally, they can increase energy efficiency while eliminating the need for lubrication on metal wear.
Polyurethane Synchronous Belts
Polyurethane belts offer advantages for many applications. These belts help reduce maintenance as they have high wear resistance, while lowering weight and component costs. They are also capable of withstanding rust and chemicals, allowing for longer life. Their efficiency allows for potentially significant energy savings.
Applications of Timing/Synchronous Belts
With applications from conveyor systems and industrial automation products to treadmills and sewing machines, the reduced maintenance requirements and cost of timing belts have made them alternatives to gears across a variety of applications.
Synchronous belts help align engine components and transfer power between critical vehicle systems. They work in sheet metal destacking, painting lines, stamped metal conveying, tire manufacturing, and many other applications in the automotive industry.
Timing belts can help maintain safe and efficient operations for many types of machining and manufacturing processes. These belts can eliminate the need for frequent maintenance in facilities using CNC machines, drill presses, lathes, or mills. At the same time, they can minimize noise levels for quieter tooling processes, which helps maintain compliance with OSHA noise guidelines.
Certain material handling operations may also use timing belts. Applications for these belts in material handling include ASRS systems, diverters, and the following types of conveyors: delivery, gapping, incline, line, offload, pallet, sorting, and transport platform.
Timing Belts From Megadyne
At Megadyne, we offer a variety of timing belts for nearly any application. We have endless and open end timing belts for sale made from rubber and polyurethane.
Our line of rubber endless timing belts features:
- IMPERIAL and IMPERIAL DD
- RPP and RPP DD
- Rubber MEGAPAINT
Rubber Open End
Rubber open end belts feature fiberglass reinforcement, which allows for compatibility with bidirectional linear motor operations that require precise positioning for optimal performance.
In addition to rubber endless belts, we offer a selection of high-quality polyurethane endless timing belts, including:
- MEGAPOWER FC
Polyurethane Open End
Our polyurethane open end belts are:
- MEGALINEAR FC
- MEGALINEAR Quiet Self Track (QST)
- MEGALINEAR GW
- MEGALINEAR P3.3
- MEGALINEAR MEGAC4T™
Synchronous/Timing Belts From Megadyne Group
Whether your application has strict requirements around efficiency, maintenance, noise levels, or other factors, the right timing belts can help optimize efficiency and cost-effectiveness. You will find plenty of reliable timing/synchronous belts at Megadyne to meet your individual needs.
Megadyne has developed into one of the leading timing belt manufacturers, carrying additional products including v-belts, flat belts, multi-rib belts, and special and fabricated belts. We also offer a variety of hoses and accessories. Megadyne serves as a dependable partner in time belt manufacturing for many international original equipment manufacturers and aftermarket distributors with operations in North America, Europe, and Asia. As timing belt suppliers, we can provide clients with the right solution, including made-to-order products.
Megadyne is at your disposal to provide detailed answers to your questions and satisfy your needs. Contact us today for more information on our timing belt catalog.